Test Bank ( Complete Download ) For Contemporary Maternal-Newborn Nursing | 9th Edition | Ladewig
Test Bank ( Complete Download ) For Contemporary Maternal-Newborn Nursing | 9th Edition | Patricia A. Wieland Ladewig | Marcia L. London
Contemporary Maternal-Newborn Nursing, 9e (Ladewig et al.)
Chapter 2 Family, Culture, and Complementary Health Approaches
1) While conducting a family assessment, the nurse determines that a particular family’s structure
is binuclear. Some potential challenges inherently faced by binuclear families include:
1. Challenges related to coparenting and joint custody, including negotiation and compromise
between the parents about childrearing decisions.
2. Issues related to both parents being employed, including child care, household chores, and
spending time together.
3. Challenges related to children interacting with peers and when revealing their parents sexual
4. Issues related to single parenting, including lack of social and emotional support, need for
assistance with childrearing, and financial strain.
Explanation: 1. Because both parents have equal responsibility and legal rights regarding their
biological child, binuclear families may inherently face challenges related to parenting and joint
custody, including negotiation and compromise between the parents about childrearing decisions.
2. Issues inherently faced by the dual-career/dual-earner family include child care, household
chores, and spending time together.
3. Children raised in gay and lesbian families may face challenges related to interacting with
peers and when revealing their parent’s sexual orientation.
4. Binuclear families incorporate coparenting, whereas, with single parenting, one parent is
responsible for child care. Issues inherently related to single parenting may include lack of social
and emotional support, need for assistance with childrearing, and financial strain.
Page Ref: 13
Cognitive Level: Analyzing
Client Need&Sub: Health Promotion and Maintenance
Standards: QSEN Competencies: Patient-centered care | AACN Essential Competencies:
Essential IX: Baccalaureate generalist nursing practice | NLN Competencies: Human flourishing
| Nursing/Integrated Concepts: Nursing Process: Assessment/Coordination of care
Learning Outcome: LO 2.1-Describe how family type may influence nursing care of the
MNL LO: Relate the effect of culture and family to the childbearing experience.